Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Music

With this internship, I've had to make various adjustments to my life. For example: my sleeping habits. When was the last time I started looking at nine as bedtime? Oh, wait... when I was working at Noah's. Better example: transportation. Without a car here, I have to be positive I am planning ahead and making sure I have a way to and from work every day. In addition, all my errands are completed on my day off. But the biggest example of a life adjustment? Church.

I work on Sundays, and I have no car. So it cuts out any opportunities I may have to explore churches and find something to attend during my stay here. Needless to say, I've had to work on other ways to keep my faith strong. And thankfully, God knows me better than I know myself.

God knows how much I connect with music, how much it can influence me. One day, Jess and I were driving on our way to class and she was setting the stations on her car radio. She came across KLUV without knowing it and tuned it in simply because the song playing was rock. So I listened gratefully to the words of the song as it talked about God's glory. Perhaps Jess has caught on that the station isn't "her style," but it still remains on the dial.

Then, Sunday last week, I was dutifully working on our 20+ stalls when I strangely recognized the melody coming from our small cassette radio. At some point, the classic rock station had turned to a Christian station, and I heard a song that I have sung in church hundreds of times. I couldn't help but smile. Oscar, who speaks little English, didn't understands the words. Rovel wasn't listening close enough to listen. So for a few precious minutes, I was able to let the music revitalize me and remind me that God is still here.

Perhaps I'm not as on top of devotional readings as I would like to be. Perhaps I haven't made it to church in over two months. But God's reaching me in a way that fits these life changes, and it's comforting. And it's keeping me mindful of Him through the days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers Ashley.